Friday, August 8, 2014

Note to self: Draw more from imagination


Bert Dodson's Keys to Drawing book, which I first borrowed from the library and wrote about in this post, was so enjoyable that I ended up buying my own copy.

This other one, Keys to Drawing with Imagination, prompted an inmediate purchase as soon as I found it online. It's about drawing from your head, not from life, and I think it's going to come in handy for all the conceptual illustrations I do for the Opinion pages.

The exercises Dodson proposes have already piqued my interest. For someone like me who usually sketches from life aiming for accuracy, it's going to be quite liberating to try things like playing with scale, exaggerating proportions or creating distorted reflections.

6 comments:

  1. I think drawing from imagination can improve our interpretation of urban sketching, Gabi. (And, conversely, I think it works the other way around too.) Looks like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Rob! It's much easier to draw something from your head if you've sketched it first from real life.

      Delete
  2. I love this book, too! Drawing from imagination is a real stretch for me, but I keep telling myself that's all we did when we were kids, so we can do it again. Love your recent cartoons!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best memories from my childhood are of sketching cartoons. I think that's were my artist soul really is. That's one of the reasons I want to get back to that.

      Delete
  3. I have this book. I should dust it off and take a look again!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found this post by you. Take a look at this one by me - I think you'll find it interesting http://travelsketch.blogspot.co.uk/2006/10/tuesday-19th-september-grass-is.html

    This is when I found out what creating a book can look like - while visiting Bert at his studio in Vermont. That's when I got the bug to write a book about drawing! It looked like it might be fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete