Saturday, November 16, 2013

The illustration work of Heather More

Heather More is a 24-year-old graduate of the Glasgow School of Art pursuing a career in illustration. Knowing I was born in Barcelona, she emailed me to share a delightful set of drawings she made there during a recent 3-month stay.

I loved seeing familiar Barcelona scenes through Heather's eyes, and what she wrote about drawing on location was also music to my ears:

"The feeling you get from drawing on location is very different from from working from a photo or imagination. Location drawing is the most honest and rewarding work I do. Most of the time I am not looking at the paper I am drawing on as my eyes are studying the cathedral/monument/skyline/coffee drinker in front of me. This relaxes me and means the work is not self conscious or contrived. It might not always be perfect but it becomes an instant artefact of a time and a place. My house is quickly filling up with sketchbooks!"

When she is not drawing on location, Heather said she likes to draw characters, dinosaurs and foxes. "This helps pay the bills."

To see more of Heather's work, make sure to visit her site at

No comments:

Post a Comment