Sunday, May 19, 2013

The future of illustration?

This week's New Yorker arrived with an interesting surprise: two variants of the same cover:

The printed one.



And a bonus interactive version with the iPad download.



The interactive version was fun to play with. I spent a minute or two making that wheel drop a bunch of apples on Newton's head.

This is the kind of stuff that my kids take for granted. But, to this 43-year-old, it still feels a bit like science-fiction -- I can make the artwork come alive with my fingertip!

I thought, is this the future of illustration?

Not really, it is the present.

The cover, titled "Eureka!" is by illustrator Christoph Niemann. Where did his inspiration come from? See his step-by-step visual explanation and the cover artwork in motion here.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe one day, editors, publishers and art directors will grow so tired of photography (and it's wide-reaching ubiquity) that we'll see illustration enter another golden age. ***

    *** I won't hold my breath though.

    Hope you are well, my friend. Sketch on with your bad self! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting to think about, Gabi. Can you believe, one of my former 4th grade students is now the senior designer of New Yorker?

    ReplyDelete