Random notes and sketches by newspaper artist and Urban Sketchers founder Gabriel Campanario.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Centerpiece


My Saturday Seattle Times column usually runs across the bottom of the local news cover, but every now and then I pitch it for centerpiece position. The "centerpiece," in newspaper jargon, is the story with the largest photo or artwork on a page.

As you can imagine, that is a coveted spot that every reporter and photographer wants. It's not a given for me to get it. Editors make the decision. In this case, since no other stories about this movie theater had been published after it reopened a few weeks ago, my chances of being "centerpieced" were pretty good.

The lesson for me: The more "newsy" or "timely" my sketching ideas are, the better chances I have to get my work displayed larger on the page. It's also good to sketch people who haven't had a lot of media exposure, "unsung heroes" doing things the community should know about.

See the full story: Film buff gives Columbia City theater an encore.

No comments:

Post a Comment