Random notes and commentary on illustration, urban sketching, art and visual communication by newspaper artist and Urban Sketchers founder Gabriel Campanario.

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Multimedia storytelling

The New York Times sets the bar for multimedia storytelling really high with this report, Snow Fall. The Avalanche at Tunnel Creek.

The story written by John Branch is so powerful, you could argue it doesn't really matter how you read it or what other elements run with it. But there's no denying the power of rich media in this presentation. Once you start looking at the photos, playing the videos or interacting with the graphics, you are hooked.

I started reading it in on my iPad one evening and finish it on my iPhone the next day during my commute. As much as I love holding a newspaper in my hands, I didn't miss it one bit in this case and found the reading experience equally enjoyable.

By the way, if you are a skier, be safe out there!

3 comments:

  1. A grim but fascinating story, Gabe. Thanks for posting. It took me two hours, but I watched several of the segments more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, I think the future of journalism is bright if newspapers do more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for providing such a great article, it was excellent and very informative.
    as a first time visitor to your blog I am very impressed.
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete