Saturday, November 12, 2011

How to draw horses



Knowing I would be sketching horses for this week's column, I took a little time to learn about the animals' anatomy beforehand. A Google search on how to draw horses led me to this useful page at elfwood.com, a SciFi/Fantasy art and fiction website.

The article, written and illustrated by Suzanne Jessup, included just what I was looking for: simple diagrams of a horse skeleton and muscles.

Jessup also writes that she's "of the school of thought that you can not draw anything well unless you know how it is put together."

That seems to contradict another rule I also follow: Draw what you see, not what you know. But I think she's still right.

When it comes to drawing live creatures, an understanding of anatomy really pays off. And the same could be said about sketching buildings. Even a basic knowledge of architecture can make a big difference.

1 comment:

  1. I love horses, but I am not very skilled at drawing, I will try to draw these horses now that I have some time to kill, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete