Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sketching in the rain

photo (13)

I'm getting really good at holding my umbrella, my art supplies and my iPhone all at the same time. Sketching out in the open can certainly become quite the circus attraction, but I don't mind it. Most people are too busy to stop by and check what I'm doing, and, if they do, they're always curious and complimentary.

Taking photos while I sketch is a way to document the process and I also like to post them on Twitter.

For this view of one of the longest stairways in the city I blocked out the composition in pencil first to get the perspective right. See the result of this wet sketch outing over at my Seattle Times blog.

4 comments:

  1. I admire anyone who sketches. I do not - sketch. I've been a detail person since I started drawing (and painting) beside my dad who painted signs, and I started young - five. My brain has become accustomed to perspective and space and if I want to draw something (I'm an exclusive colored pencil & pen man now) I just do it. You're very good Gabriel. I enjoy your 'outings' around Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started sketching. I find it hard enough to just hold a pencil or pen and make marks on the paper. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started art in October. I'm taking a class. I've been doing a lot of experimenting. I also am enjoying finding artists on twitter, blogger, and facebook. My class just started last week.

    I love the way you are a multitasker managing the umbrella, phone, and art supplies!!

    Great job. btw, I'm following you on all the places I mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love being able to peek into sketchbooks. Yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete