Thursday, February 3, 2011

Koolhaas' Seattle Public Library makes a point about lines


I observed the last Worldwide SketchCrawl day by drawing at the Seattle Central Library with our local group of urban sketchers.

I usually think of libraries as quiet, unassuming spaces, but here's one that is not afraid to make a statement. The glass-covered structure designed by Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas looks like a disorganized stack of books sitting on the floor. Walls rise and fall at sharp angles creating an interesting play of shadows and beams intersect forming beautiful diamond patterns.

It all makes for striking architecture and a somewhat dizzy sketching experience. I walked all around it before I settled on a vantage point. Lines seemed to shoot in all sorts of directions and it was hard to decide where to start. I ended up lining the sketchbook fold with the corner of the building and just kept going.


On my second spread I was smarter to start with a thumbnail. I should have done more of those.

[4B pencil on 4"x6" Pentalic sketchbook.]

Don't miss the drawings my fellow sketchers did during the sketchcrawl.


  1. Hi gabi - it is a very cool building and one of the few things I actually saw in Seattle!!! Off to check out the other sketches now!

  2. Thank you for sharing
    This Wonderful work with us
    Good creations