Friday, January 7, 2011

I'm inspired by Jim Woodring's Giant Pen

Jim Woodring and his Giant Pen at Cafe Racer, Seattle
I tweeted this photo from Cafe Racer in the U-District.

I've never done any urban sketching with a dip pen, let alone with one that is 7-foot-tall. But I admire renowned cartoonist Jim Woodring for creating such an extraordinary drawing tool.

After meeting and sketching Woodring holding his pen this week, I want to dust off my old nibs and start inking drawings like crazy. Such is the inspirational power of this Giant Pen.

To find out what Woodring plans to do with it, you may read my latest Seattle Times column at seattletimes dot com slash seattle sketcher.

Woodring's project was funded through United States Artists, a grant making organization supporting artists working in the United States. Check out their site and don't miss this video of Woodring pitching his project to donors who ended up giving him more than his goal of $4,500.

No comments:

Post a Comment