Thursday, June 3, 2010

I think urban sketching plays well on TV




This is the segment about my newspaper column that aired on KING5 TV last month. My wife says I should start a reality TV show. I'm not so sure about that, but I do believe urban sketching plays well on TV. A producer or filmmaker with some creative juices could certainly create a 20 minute 'sketching around the world' program that I believe many people would watch. It could be a blend of travel, art, history and architecture narrated around the act of urban sketching in cities around the world. Every show could be about a different city. You'd see a sketch that took 20 minutes to draw play before your eyes in seconds for example. You'd hear about the the city landmark being drawn, about artists who lived in that city and sketched it centuries ago... well, I could keep going but I don't want to give the whole idea away ;)

20 comments:

  1. Me gustan mucho estos reportajes.
    Tu esposa tiene razón. (Si es que lo he entendido bien).Sería muy interesante ver estas explicaciones por TV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the video piece. It is inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally. we need a USK show. that would rock. We need to raise funds to send a camera kit all over the world and collect footage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grande Gabi!!!! Nice one! Great!

    Ciao from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea...go for it1
    Ronell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great interview, Gabi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Gabi, what can I say. Another fantastic notch in your sketching belt! Really looking forward to meeting you in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Que bueno, Gabi! No habia visto esto. Has quedado genial!! Un saludete!
    C-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Felicidades ! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Gabi, for bringing the sketch to the forefront here in the Pacific Northwest - as well as around the world with Urban Sketchers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview! Mentioning such a tv show reminds me something… do you know "Carnets du voyage" from TV5Monde? It's a series of 6 documentaries about 6 places seen through the eyes of 6 travelers/sketchers…

    ReplyDelete
  12. One mistake… 10 documentaries, 10 places and 6 travelers/sketchers. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Gabi,
    I just found your blog. It's great to see your sketches of Seattle, it makes me homesick for the Northwest. It's great to see you doing what you love and posting up the sketches with all the energy and feeling that you had at the time you made it. There's nothing quite like sketching from life. Thanks for the inspiration!

    I'm originally from the Seattle area and have stayed in Barcelona (now living in Boston).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful video. Congratulations on your award. The USK hero!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulation Gabi!
    You are amazing, i hope we can see lot of pictures from your 'camera'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can really appreciate the fineness of the artist's hands. It is really an amazing way to capture the urban environments, something that cameras have failed to do in a thoughtful sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate reality shows but this is great beginning for your career, simply avoid the critics of those who feel envy and hatred for your art.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is what I like because I love the urban sketches because they're the real and the essence of the sketches, actually I feel so inspired because I also like to do those things.

    ReplyDelete