Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New Yorker cover drawn on iPhone


New York based Portuguese illustrator Jorge Colombo drew this week's cover of The New Yorker on his iPhone using an application called Brushes.

Judging by the size of the iPhone art Flickr group, there are many iSketchers out there. Stéphane Kardos and Xoan Baltar are two of my favorites. Kardos' sketches of Southern California sunsets actually inspired Colombo to explore iPhone sketching.

I asked Kardos about his iPhone sketches back in February on this interview for the Urban Sketchers blog. He said he likes the iPhone because "you can paint very quickly in the dark or capture a sunset as it's going down on location; the screen is backlit, it’s perfect."

For me, iPhone sketching makes getting one practically irresistible, but I'm going to stick to my plan of not buying things I don't really need. I'll let you know when I succumb to the temptation.

Related links:

5 comments:

  1. interesante, muy muy interesante. Gracias por acercarnoslo. Saúdos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Una parida más, en mi humilde opinión.

    ReplyDelete
  3. es que a ti es difícil impresionarte señor Enrique ;) pero tu opinión es siempre bienvenida!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice cover! I wonder why the new yorker don't hire this genius, a perfect urban sketch

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not aware that you can do sketches like that in an iPhone! This is a nice work, I hope I learn to draw as good as that.

    ReplyDelete