Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sketching during siesta time

Villafranca de los Barros (Badajoz)

We stopped at a roadside plant nursery because my dad needed to buy some specific tomato plants, but they didn't have them. At the nursery he ran into somebody he knew —in the little countryside villages everybody knows each other somehow. He was also plant shopping and recommended a store in Villafranca de los Barros, which wasn't too far away. He was going there himself so we just followed his truck. When we got there the store was still closed for siesta time. They would open in 20 minutes, at 6 p.m.!!! (Yes, even a Spaniard like me gets frustrated about this ridiculous siesta schedules.) Anyway, we waited and I had the chance to sketch this uncharacteristic view that could pretty much be any little town in Southwestern Spain. Twenty minutes after six o'clock the guy from the store hadn't shown up yet so we left. My dad managed to buy the tomato plants somewhere else the next day. He was frustrated then, but I was happy for getting a sketch done during siesta. 

Seattle Sketcher is moving

Well, not me, my blog. On April 27 I will do my last post here and move to Seattle Times dot com, where I'm thrilled to join my newspaper's talented team of bloggers. The official launch is not until April 28th, but I'm already starting to post there. Comments, tweets, blog posts and any other kind of online promotion welcomed! Thanks!


  1. Oh I love this one, It's nice to sketch when waiting. I love the corner choice with the 2 vanishing point (streets) The story's with the drawings are great.

  2. Hold on. What about the "No parking" sign? All the curb is full of cars parked!
    Nice sketch btw. Everything seems so peaceful (siesta time, I know...)

  3. Congratulations on your new gig!!! It's good to see you getting recognition for your talent!