Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Mariners home opener, an eye opener for me

safeco041409h
April 14, 12:41 p.m. Fans head to the stadium for the Mariners home opener against the L.A. Angels. [View larger]

Yesterday I stopped by Safeco Field to check out the scene before the doors opened. I had other things to do in the newsroom but enough time to do a quick sketch. It was three hours before the game and people were already getting there. A food stand with "Seattle's very best sausages" was already up and running.

The owner of the food stand was wearing a shirt with the number 8, for Hasselbeck. I had to Google that to realize Hasselbeck is actually a Seahawks player. So much to learn about football and baseball. I can tell you who Sounders' Montero is though!

Anyway, I leaned against one of the pillars supporting the overpass and sketched away as people passed by.

You won't believe that I've never been to a major league baseball game. I only saw the Everett Aquasox once. All the happy looking folks heading to Safeco field made me want to learn more about this sport. We actually have tickets to see them play against the Oakland Athletics on May 3rd. That'll be my initiation to baseball. It's about time, considering I've lived in the U.S. for 11 years now and my son just started T-ball. I better learn fast. I don't want to be a clueless dad when I go watch him play.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:58 PM

    Warning -- I've always said you have to grow up on baseball to really enjoy the game. Keep in mind that a "perfect" game (no runs, no hits, no errors, no one on base, no nothing) is essentially two guys playing catch.
    But maybe you'll be the exception to the rule and love it. It's not a game of super athletes -- tho some players are -- it's a game of super skills. And when played well, it's a real joy to watch.
    Anyway, whether you love the game or not I'm sure you going to do some great sketches from inside Safeco field. Don't forget to sit in the bleachers sometime and sketch the view to the west.
    MJP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will your new blog at seattletimes.com also have an RSS feed? There doesn't seem to be one available at the new URL yet.

    ReplyDelete