Monday, December 8, 2008

The statues by Whole Foods

wholefoodsstatues120508m

I sketched this view of the statues in front of Whole Foods at Westlake Avenue last Friday. I've been trying to find out the name of the artist who made them but I'm not having any luck after a few google searches. Do you know?

All I could find were some customer reviews of Whole Foods saying that they look terrifying. And this photo on Flickr titled "Creepy big-boned children statues."

UPDATE:  Thanks to MJP, reader of the blog who left a comment and solved the mistery. The author of these ceramic sculptures is Akio Takamori, a Japanese artist who has lived in Seattle since 1993.

[ Hice este dibujo de las estatuas que hay delante de Whole Foods el viernes pasado. He estado intentando averiguar quién es el artista que las hizo pero varias búsquedas en Google no me han servido de mucho. Tal vez algún lector del blog lo sepa. ¶ Lo único que he podido encontrar son algunas reseñas de clientes de Whole Foods a los que les parecen aterradoras. Y esta foto en Flickr titulada "Horripilantes estatuas de niños gigantes". ]

5 comments:

  1. I love those statues! I don't think they're creepy at all. Don't know who the artist is, though.

    I just found your blog and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them too, nice sketch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry i cany help you. Intrigantes as estátuas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:35 PM

    Solved! "If you’ve ever wondered what a Japanese watercolor would look like if it turned 3-D, come see the ceramic sculptures of Akio Takamori in the plaza in front of Whole Foods. Stroll into the lobby of the Pan Pacific Hotel and look under the staircase to see a “Mini-Me” version of the same sculptures."
    MJP

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job MJP! thanks for the digging out the info. I'm glad to learn that Takamori lives in Seattle. i found a good bio of him here.

    ReplyDelete