Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Rainier rhymes with beer

rainierbeer122608m

I was out for a walk when I saw the Rainier Beer truck making a stop. I had been wanting to sketch it for a while. It was cold and just starting to rain but I found enough cover and did a quick sketch. My pen got wet from the rain half-way through it, that's why some parts are hard to read.

I think it was a big deal when the Rainier Brewing Company, a Seattle icon, was sold. I'm still a newbie around here so I can't really imagine how locals felt about that. Does the beer still taste the same? Probably not. I haven't actually tried it yet.

[ Estaba dando una vuelta cuando vi que el camión de Cerveza Rainier hacía una parada. Le tenía echado el ojo desde hace tiempo para dibujarlo. Hacía frío y empezaba a llover pero encontré un sitio más o menos a cubierto y no dejé pasar la oportunidad. Con la lluvia se me mojó el rotulador y por eso hay líneas y anotaciones que no se ven muy bien ¶ Creo quela venta de la Cervecería Rainier, una marca emblemática de Seattle, fue bastante traumática. Yo soy todavía muy nuevo por estos lares y no me imagino cómo les sentó eso a los nativos. ¿Sigue sabiendo igual la cerveza? Supongo que no. Yo de hecho todavía no la he probado. ]

12 comments:

  1. For some reason I remember the old logo blue and yellow. Could anyone confirm whether I am right or if it's just my imagination?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Yeat why not with a beer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the logo in blue and yellow, too. And the commercial with the mosquito chasing the truck. Does that date me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year gabi. Congrats for the all thing that you do this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rainier beer is an elixir of the Gods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice sketch Gabi, I've never tried Rainier either. How's the weather? We're getting snow... again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beer is not that great

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just in Seattle for New Years, and had my first Vitamin R in about 7 years. I'm from CA, and during the summer of 2001 I was at a family reunion at Fort Flagler across the sound, I was 16 and my cousin Kate would sneak me Rainier tall boys. That first sip on New Years eve in my cousin Kate's friends basement was like experiencing a flashback to that summer. I wanted to stock up on a few cases to bring back to SoCal with me but forgot. I just got back today and am wishing I had a Rainier now. Any ideas on how to get it in CA?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rainier had the best tv ads back in the 70's. Here are a couple of sad stories about the demise of local brews in the Northwest, and of Lone Star Beer in Texas, almost solely due to one man (Paul Kalmanovitz).

    http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/interest.htm

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/beer09.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Blog, I think I want to find me, I will tell my other friends, on all!
    aoc power leveling

    ReplyDelete