...never stop tinkering...

Monday, November 3, 2008

Reflecting on the bus

busscene103108m

On Fridays I normally don't go to the newspaper until early afternoon because I work a late schedule. The crowd on the bus is usually younger, mostly students going to the University of Washington campus.

As I was on the bus sketching I was thinking how unfortunate it was that Halloween fell on a Friday this year and I was going to miss trick or treating with my kids. My consolation was that it's really been Halloween at my house for about a month, ever since my 3-year-old daughter started wearing her costumes at all times possible: bumble-bee, dragon and tiger, which is the one she finally decided to wear for trick or treat night. My 5-year-old boy was a Transformer, the one called Optimus Prime.

[ Los viernes normalmente no voy al periódico hasta por la tarde porque trabajo un horario diferente. La gente en el autobús suele ser más joven, la mayoría estudiantes que van al campus de la Universidad de Washington. ¶ Mientras iba en el bus haciendo este dibujo pensaba sobre la mala suerte de que Halloween haya caído en viernes este año. Me perdí el trick or treating con mis críos. Mi consolación es que en mi casa parece que estemos en Halloween desde hace un mes, cuando mi niña, que tiene 3 años, empezó a ponerse todos sus disfraces a todas horas del día: de abeja, de dragón y de tigre, que es el que se puso al final. Mi niño, que tiene 5 años, se disfrazó de Transformer, el que se llama Optimus Prime. ]

3 comments:

  1. Gabi, finding your blog and being able to see your sketches (and then also the urban sketchers) has been a real inspiration to me. I have never been a sketcher...much too focused on finished pieces. I like the way you make the total scene the piece and the individual details more of an (arresting) afterthought. I get so caught up in trying to capture the person, I miss the big picture.
    Just want to let you know you are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sketch them in the costumes, Gabi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olá gabi. Parece que o urbansketches arrancou bem. Deves estar contente. Mais uma vez: grande iniciativa a tua. Parabéns.
    Abraço.

    ReplyDelete