Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I like the plate of the Evergreen State


It's been a few years since countries in the European Union started adopting a uniform license plate design. The main difference is the initial of the country next to the number, F for France, E for España, and so on. Also, in some countries they are yellow and in others they are white, but that's pretty much it. Please, correct me if I'm wrong!

I must say I prefer the American system. Here, every state has its own design, sometimes several of them, and people can even get vanity plates with personalized words at a premium cost. That's democracy right there for you. Plus, it makes the plates more fun to look at.

What do you think of our own license plate design here at The Evergreen State? I like it a lot.

[ Ya hace unos años que los países de la Union Europea empezaron a adoptar una matrícula común para todos los vehículos. La diferencia principal es la letra inicial del país al lado del número, F de Francia, E de España, etc. A parte de eso, en algunos países son amarillas y en otros blancas, el resto del diseño es básicamente el mismo. Por favor, ¡corregirme si me equivoco! ¶ He de confesar que prefiero el sistema americano. Aquí cada estado tiene su propio diseño, o incluso varios, y la gente también puede pagar más por matrículas personalizadas. A eso lo llamo yo democracia. Además, son más interesantes de mirar. ¶ ¿Qué os parece el diseño de la nuestra en el estado de Washington, conocido como The Evergreen State? A mí me encanta. ]


  1. Yes, it's a very nice design, but I'm puzzled. Why on earth does the Evergreen State have no green in its license plate?

  2. Well, Oregon put a big evergreen in the middle of their license plate. :)

    By the way, when I was a kid most states had simple two-color license plates. You can see some in the image results I linked above.

  3. How I miss those, Dani! And it was so much fun, when traveling around, spotting all those plates from all those states. I still remember "Montana: Big Sky Country"; "California: Sunny State", I remember the one from Oregon with a bunch of cedars... I also lived in Ohio and have a plate at home which someone gave me as a souvenir: ""Ohio, the heart of it all", though it's not half as nice as the Washington one.

    It'd be nice to have these around here. What symbol would you use for Barcelona?

    Best regards!

  4. In Ireland you can figure out the county where the car was FIRST bought by deciphering the code within the number line (usually 1 to 3 letters) -- but you're right, no one else has visuals on the plate as well!

  5. I've got tons of plates on my site...

  6. I like it very much, but I love Mount Rainier!

    My Army buddy, when we were serving together, designed this plate as part of a contest. I think his name was Wunch - I'm pulling this memory out from @ 1980!

    When we had a 2 color plate, it was white and green! Anyway, I can't think of a better icon than the mountain.

  7. I have to say, in comparison with the boring yellow-ish background of the New Jersey plates, yours look way exotic.
    I believe licence plates are yellow in the front and white in the back (or is it the other way round?!) in Europe. Though Belgium doesn't seem to have adopted the European standard yet (much to my surprise when i lived there!).
    I bemoan the fact we are about to give up some nifty features on the French licence plates. One could tell roughly when the car was registered, what region of France it was registered in... all at a glance. And they're getting rid of that system now. Poo.
    All this to say, i too love the American state-by-state colorful plates.

  8. hmmm, Alice makes a good point...why is there no gree...but that aside, you make a good point. I have really enjoyed your renderings since a friend tuned me into them.

  9. i thought the same thing about the green color, but then, it already says the 'evergreen state' so why be repetitive and show trees. too obvious i think, so i kinda like they went with mt. rainier, it's a great icon

    @wagonized, in Spain you could also tell what part of the country a car came from. it made for a good road trip game when i was growing up (see who can spot a car from Madrid first?) but not anymore thanks to all these european union license plate standards nonsense