...never stop tinkering...

Friday, August 22, 2008

Home of the Velvet Foam

uptownespresso082108m
08.21.08 — 2:00 p.m. A $3.39 (ouch!) tall latte at Uptown Espresso on Westlake Avenue.

I thought I'd wrap up the week with some caffeine, just the way it started.

I had an afternoon dose yesterday at Uptown Espresso. I sat at the same table outside from where I sketched this view of the Space Needle a while ago.

By the way, do you know where the inspiration for the Uptown Espresso logo came from? I'm pretty sure it came from this poster by french commercial artist Adolphe Cassandre, a favorite of my Visual Communication professor in college. I knew listening to all those lectures would pay off one day!

[ He pensado terminar la semana como la empecé, con cafeína. ¶ Mi dosis de ayer fue en Uptown Espresso. Me senté en la misma mesa al aire libre desde donde hice este apunte del Space Needle hace unos meses. ¶ Por cierto, ¿sabes dónde se inspiraron para hacer el logotipo de Uptown Espresso? Estoy seguro que fue en este poster del cartelista francés Adolphe Cassandre, que le encantaba a mi profesor de Cultura de la Imagen en la universidad. Ya sabía yo que tarde o temprano esa clase me serviría de algo! ]

10 comments:

  1. Me gustan mucho tus dibujos de vasos. Por si solos podrían hacer un libro aparte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting what you write about the inspiration for the logo. I had a look at the original poster, and yes, I think you are right. Very funny to compare both, isn't it? I wonder if they thought they made the picture unrecognizable just flipping it over, and taking the bottle away...
    Great too to read about Cassandre,I did not know him (although I am French... shame on me!)

    Cheers! (with Expresso or Dubonnet, how you want1)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica5:06 PM

    Hola! me gustan muchos tus dibujos.. me dan muchas ganas de ir a seattle.................

    ReplyDelete
  4. gracias jessica, no te arrepentirás de visitar esta hermosa ciudad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see all the speakers, really wonderful content. Do not know if you like Nike mercurial soccer cleats or Nike soccer cleats and Nike Football Cleats,Nike Mercurial Vapor Superfly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. uggs clearance Australia, a beautiful and fertile country, with the sheep's back country is known. Vast expanse of the ranch, blue sky and white clouds, green sheep, lush plants and pleasant weather, Uggs Outlet this is UGG raw Merino (Merino) lamb origin.classic short ugg boots,Ugg Bailey Button triplet But there are some car sales still not satisfactory, ugg boots clearance such as the 2011 Lincoln MKT (picture quotation parameters Forum), the car price up to $ 44,000, but according to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete