Friday, October 12, 2007

Drawing at museums

During the nearly four years we lived in the D.C. area, going to the National Gallery of Art and other museums was one of my favorite escapes. And especially spending some time sketching during the visits. I've sometimes copied art from books before (like this one I posted a while ago by Diego Rivera), but nothing compares to the experience of seeing original masterpieces with your own eyes and sketching them on the spot. It's like opening a little window into the brain of their creators. I was able to do some museum sketching not long ago here in Seattle for this newspaper project about the new Seattle Art Museum. I can't wait to go draw at a museum again soon!
Durante los casi cuatro años que vivimos en el área metropolitana de Washington D.C., visitar la National Gallery of Art y otros museos era uno de mis escapes preferidos. Y especialmente dedicar tiempo a dibujar durante esas visitas. Alguna vez he copiado obras de arte de libros (como ésta de Diego Rivera que puse aquí hace tiempo), pero no se puede comparar con la experiencia de ver las obras de arte originales con tus propios ojos y dibujarlas ahí mismo. Es como abrir una pequeña ventana y mirar dentro la cabeza de sus creadores. No hace mucho tuve la oportunidad de dibujar en el Seattle Art Museum para este proyecto que publicamos en el periódico. ¡Me muero de las ganas de dibujar otra vez en algún museo lo más pronto posible!


  1. Pues precioso y muy interesante.
    Un saludo del Canibalibro.

  2. I agree, there is something special about seeing original works. I went to an exhibition of Le Corbusier's paintings, sculptures and tapestries and didn't have my sketchbook with me but I tried to memorize some to sketch later. Really interesting experience.