Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Not in the mood to color and this is why...




These are the rest of the sketches I did last week on the bus. I planned to color them last evening, but I wasn't in the mood after what happened during my morning bus ride. As I was getting ready to get off, one of my 'subjects' confronted me: "Hey, can I have that drawing you just did of me?" He was pretty upset. "Why are you drawing me?," he repeated several times. "You need to ask for permission." "You need to give me that drawing." I was so shocked I didn't know how to react. I told him I can draw anything I want because I'm in a public place. And, obviously, I didn't give him the drawing. But what a bad way to start the day. I guessed this would happen some day, but I didn't anticipate it would be so confrontational. Now I don't know how I will approach my bus sketching in the future... I'm not breaking any laws but I understand someone can get upset, in which case I should be prepared to offer a better explanation. Oh well, for the time being, enjoy my monochromatic sketches from last week here.
Aquí están el resto de mis dibujos en el autobús que hice la semana pasada. Los pensaba colorear ayer por la tarde pero no tenía ningunas ganas después de lo que me pasó por la mañana. Cuando ya quedaba poco para mi parada, una de las personas que había dibujado me encaró: "Hey, ¿me das el dibujo que acabas de hacer de mí?" Estaba bien enfadado. "¿Por qué me has dibujado?", me repitió varias veces. "Tienes que pedirme permiso". "Me tienes que dar el dibujo". No veas, me dejó de piedra y no supe cómo reaccionar. Le dije que estando en un sitio público como el autobús puedo dibujar lo que yo quiera. Y, por supuesto, no le di el dibujo. Pero es empezar el día con mala pata. Ya pensaba que esto me pasaría algún día pero no de esta manera. Ahora no sé cómo voy a tomárme esto de dibujar en el autobús. No estoy haciendo nada ilegal pero entiendo que alguien se pueda molestar, y en ese caso debo estar mejor preparado para explicarle mis motivos. En fin, por el momento, aquí os dejo con mis monocromáticos dibujos de la semana pasada.

10 comments:

  1. What an awful experience first thing in the morning! I have to admit that this is one thing I am quite afraid of, being taken on by someone I'm drawing. I get quite a few intense looks when I take pictures and I don't necessarily focus on one single person. So...I imagine you're back to big, dark sunglasses and big books on the bus? Good luck.
    I always enjoy your bus sketches and hope this experience won't stop you!?
    Ronell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bueno, tenía que pasar alguna vez, pero bordes los hay en todas partes... ánimo y no lo dejes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the encouragement Ronell and Lola, i'm going to try not to give it up. maybe i'll just take a break for a day or two to recharge the batteries and take it slowly, it was a pretty awful experience that left me a little shaken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:06 AM

    That is a pretty scary thing to have to have happened. I must admit though that I have felt uncomfortable when I have seen people sketching me in a public place. I then tended to hide behind a bag/sunglasses etc. to "try to get away". I suppose you could continue to sketch surreptitously.... good luck. Your blog is a daily read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks anonymous, it makes my day that you come to the blog that often, yai! i'm not going to give up bus sketching but i'm going to be more careful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your scare! I'd be shaken too. Chin up..your sketches are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks beegirl, you're right... chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sympathize with your experience. It's hard not to "look intensely" when you're trying to capture an impression or a detail. I do the peek-and-remember routine a lot too, but always wonder if I've trespassed. But, think of all the cell-phone pictures people grab without permission. Artists are just easier to spot, and our motives are a lot better - we're just doing art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wagonized6:01 AM

    Oh darn, i truly hope this unfortunate episode doesn't stop you. I would be so honored to be the subject in one of your sketchbooks, i can't imagine someone wouldn't want that. It only shows the entitlement some people have -- about everything around them. Draw on, Gabi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jim McBee1:01 AM

    Dang if I didn't have a similar situation, though mine was at the scene of an obvious news event -- the aftermath of the fire that burned down my place of work. I took a shot of the small crowd gathered around, and the two women in front got all upset with me. They asked what was I taking pics for and insisted I had to ask first, and they better not see them in print. It was a surprise. Of course, I knew my rights, but also had no particular desire to confront them with that. Only options were get into a fight or roll my eyes at them. What paranoids.

    Keep up the awesome drawings. Didn't realize what an illustrator you are.

    ReplyDelete