Monday, September 17, 2007

Lights, cameras... sketch!




My best bus sketching days may be behind me, or at least that's the way it feels after the incident last week when someone I was drawing got so angry that he wanted me to surrender my sketch. Here you can see my last sketches before that incident (bottom spread) and the less confident ones I did afterwards. I decided not to post the drawing of the offended commuter. We'll see how this week goes, I'm going to take it very easy. And if someone yells at me again as if I had stolen somebody's wallet or something like that I may point them to the camera in the front of the bus. What do you prefer, me drawing you or Big Brother taping?
Después del incidente de la semana pasada en el que un pasajero se enfadó tanto que quería que le diera el dibujo, mis mejores días de dibujar en el autobús creo que están contados. Aquí podéis ver mi última doble página (la de abajo) antes del incidente, y el resto de los dibujos que hice los días siguientes, mucho más inseguros. He decidido no poner el dibujo que hice del pasajero ofendido. Vamos a ver cómo me va esta semana. Me lo voy a tomar con mucha calma. Y si alguien me grita otra vez como si le hubiera robado la cartera a alguien le recordaré dónde está la cámara en el autobús grabándolo todo. ¿Qué prefiere usted, que yo le dibuje o que le grabe el Gran Hermano?

5 comments:

  1. He should have been flattered...and since he wasn't I must believe he was mental. I think you so brave for sketching so freely in public and have come to enjoy all your commuting sketches. Don't stop because the dis-service would be to us who admire you so much. Recuerda...tenemos que sufrir por nuestra arte!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, marta, you're my best friend! about suffering for our own art... sure, but i don't want to suffer too much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just tell me who I need to beat up! and if you have time...I'm starting to plan my 3 days in Barcelona...what is the big museum there and what should I not miss!! ciao best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope with a little time this incident will be totally forgotten - I'm sure he was just the bad apple. Don't let it stop you Gabi, artists are a rare enough breed as it is and the more the public see sketching as normal (just as we think anyone holding a camara phone up is normal now) the easier it will get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks felicity, let's keep on drawing!

    ReplyDelete