Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A street bench with a nice city view

As I sometimes do, I went for a little walk during my work break yesterday. I was trying to find a good spot to do some quick sketching when I stumbled upon this nice iron bench in the corner of 9th Avenue and Lenora St. It was crying for a sketcher to sit down and draw the buildings up against the nice blue sky that covers this city during the summer. So that's what I tried to do. Whoever decided to plant this bench with a view there is a genius! Thank you! I'll be sitting back on it for more sketching in the future since this drawing didn't turn out that great — some buildings are way off proportion.
Como hago a veces, ayer fui a dar un paseo durante mi descanso del trabajo. Estaba buscando un lugar desde donde poder hacer algún sketch rápido cuando me encontré un banco de hierro reluciente en la esquina de la novena avenida y la calle Lenora. Es como si el banco estuviera pidiendo por favor que alguien se sentara a dibujar los edificios y el luminoso cielo azul que cubre esta ciudad en verano. Así que eso es lo que intenté hacer. Quienquiera que decidió poner ahí ese banco es un genio! Gracias! Espero no tardar en volver y dibujar más desde el confortable banco con vistas, ya que este dibujo no salió demasiado bien — algunos de los edificios me salieron demasiado grandes.


  1. Again....wonderful sketching! So how long did this take you to do, start to finish and what size is it and I imagine you did it directly in pen?
    I was in town this morning, did one building and had my coffee run completely cold...felt like it took me forever!

  2. AWESOME!! What grand perspective and detailing!!! BEAUTIFUL!

  3. thanks for the nice comments! great idea to get some coffee and sketch at the same time... I'm gotta do that Ronell. as for your question... the drawing took me about 18 minutes ( i know because i scribbled that on the page but it's hard to read.) I did it directly in pen, which is my favorite medium, then I spend another 25 or 30 minutes coloring with gouache later at home. size is 7.5 inches by 5.5 inches ( moleskine sketchbook ) or 18 cm by 14 cm.

  4. Gosh,amazing!!You are such a pro Gabi.