Sunday, July 15, 2007

A day out with Thomas in Snoqualmie

Do you know Thomas? I didn't until a couple of years ago, when we gave the toy train to our son for his second birthday. I didn't know about the toy itself nor did I suspect there were also books, games, movies, songs, dvds, a website, you name it, about Thomas and his engine friends (Percy, Henry, Murdoch... we know them all!). Thomas is like part of the family now, so when we found out he would be stopping nearby we bought tickets right away. And today we finally got to see him in Snoqualmie, a nice little town about half and hour or so from Seattle. Above is the quick sketch I was able to do while we enjoyed all the activity on the grounds of the Northwest Railway Museum. I just finished coloring it at home. It was a fun day!
¿Sabes quién es Thomas? Yo no sabía quién era hasta hace un par de años, cuando le compramos ese tren de juguete a nuestro hijo por su segundo cumpleaños. No sólo no había oído hablar nunca de este juguete, ni siquiera sabía que también había libros, juegos, películas, canciones, dvds, página web, y todo lo que te puedas imaginar sobre Thomas y el resto de sus trenes amigos (Percy, Henry, Murdoch... nos los sabemos todos!) Thomas es ahora como uno más de la familia y cuando nos enteramos de que iba a hacer una parada cerca de Seattle compramos tickets enseguida. Y hoy precisamente ha sido el día que hemos podido verlo en Snoqualmie, un pueblecito a media hora más o menos de Seattle. Aquí podéis ver un rápido dibujo que he hecho mientras disfrutábamos del evento en el Museo del Tren del Noroeste. Lo acabo de colorear ahora en casa. ¡Ha sido un día bien entretenido!


  1. Yes I know Thomas, He is from Wales like me! Great sketch.

  2. Thomas was all the rage when I was growing up as well (all those years ago (I am 40 in a few weeks) in the UK)! Maybe it is a cultural thing. I know / think that he started in the UK in the early 70s and has gone from strength to strength with a relatively recent revival, new TV series or three and the reprinting of the books...

  3. Warroya3:58 PM

    Hi Gabi I am new to EDM and decided to check out your blog I am just starting mine.
    I love your rendition of Thomas. I live in England not far from the Bluebell railway where the original Thomas comes from. I am here in the US until the end of the month then back to Jolly ol' England.
    Thanks for the memories can't wait to get back to my new home in UK and my wonderful English Husband.
    B & P (blessings and prayers) Warroya

  4. My grand-nephew turned 1 year old on Sunday and my Rudy and I gave him his first Thomas train set..we are starting the collection for him. Many of the little boys I take care of at the hospital love Thomas! I love your Thomas sketch!

  5. Oh my, this brings back memories. My kids grew up with Thomas and sang all the songs and played with the trains. Great sketch!