Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Copying the masters


Someone at the EDM Yahoo group makes a comment about copying the masters and how it can be benefitial to improve your skills as an artist. I couldn't agree more. I did not got to art school and have ocassionally done that as an exercise, like you see here with my half-baked copy of a Diego Rivera ("Retratos de Modesta e Inesita", 1939), who is one of my favorite artists.
En el grupo de EDM en Yahoo han hecho un comentario sobre copiar a los grandes maestros de la pintura como método para mejorar tu técnica artística. Yo estoy totalmente de acuerdo. Yo no estudié Bellas Artes y en alguna ocasión he recurrido a copiar obras de mis pintores favoritos como ejercicio, como Diego Rivera en este caso ("Retratos de Modesta e Inesita," 1939).

4 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I love sketching/painting work of other artists to learn more about their style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:01 AM

    Nice work, Gabi. I don't know the original, but you did a good job on skin tones, etc. And it is a good reminder of exercises (copying the masters) when I can't come up with a painting idea! I see you are just across the water from me--are you loving this sun?--Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a charming picture...great job...I lOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this picture. I also love Diego Rivera. I was lucky enough to see some of his work up close at an exhibit in NY. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete